December 5, 2020 | Posted in: Useful items
When do the new rules start?
● From 1 January 2005, people carrying out electrical work in homes and gardens in
England and Wales will have to follow the new rules in the Building Regulations.
Why have you introduced the new rules?
● To reduce the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrical installations.
● To make it harder for ‘cowboy builders’ to leave electrical installations in an unsafe condition.
What should I do if I want to do some electrical work?
● You may need your local authority’s Building Control Department before you start the work.
What will happen if I do not follow the Building Regulations?
● The electrical installation might not be safe.
● You will have no record of the work done.
● You may have difficulty selling your home if you do not have the right electrical
● Your local authority’s Building Control Department may insist that you put right faulty
Where can I get more information?
● From your local authority’s Building Control Department.
● We publish a free ‘Explanatory Booklet on the Building Regulations’. Phone 0870 1226 236 or
visit www.communities.gov.uk/explanatorybooklet for a copy.
● ‘Approved Document P’ explains how to meet the new rules. You can download this free
of charge from www.communities.gov.uk/ approved-documents. Or you can buy a
printed copy for £15 from RIBA Bookshops.
(To order, phone 020 7256 7222 or visit www.thebuildingregs.com.)